Saturday, April 11, 2009

Being the strong free Me

Being the strong free Me,
is not the easiest thing on earth...Being the strong free Me,
means living my power, and not my fear.

Fear of the stranger of the other here can refer to the fear of person from other community, other religion, other regions, or even other gender. Fear for me is not an end product of the socialization process or the one generated by experience, and stranger too is not somebody who fits the frame of a individual with a grotesque face (as Lombroso points out), a body constitution of an alpha male or someone with facial or even physical features different to that of my familiar culture. For me it is largely a resultant of articulations and conclusions I have made from media and the direct experiences were also shaped by its content placed in a particular perspective, probably one of the worst fears I had and still posses in latent form is of coming in contact with a person with Mongolian features, the terminology I would use would not be Sino-phobia (the fear of strangers) as phobia in crude psychology would refer to intense fear of an object or person with physiological symptoms such as sweating and palpitation, here in my case it is a fear not in it’s pure form, but meshed with disgust, which I developed after watching a news clipping on a cannibal Chinese woman who would kill her visitors and refrigerate their carcasses. The scenes from the news seen at the age of five incorporated a strange fear of people with same features and later led to a generalized fear , where I would hide behind my acquaintance on seeing people with similar characteristics, later it graduated to frequent nightmares where I would see Chinese men kidnapping me and cutting me into pieces, a Freudian interpretation might also venture into unconscious motives and perform a hair split analysis but cannot prescribe a cure, because I still experience a vague undefined fear mixed with dash of disgust which force me to avoid a Chinese, or for that matter a classmate from the Seven Sisters without even knowing them.

Fear engraved in my mind by media also went to the extent of fearing my father after watching news clippings of rapes of minor, here my father is not a stranger but belongs to a community or a large group which is collectively strange to me, the other gender. The fear in this case got inflated to such an extent that having a member of other sex at home was itself threatening, I remember how I use to wander in my neighborhood park after school hours or escape from any contact with my father, I would bolt myself from inside in my room to ensure that he doesn’t get to talk to me. This however, drew me away from him and even after twelve years those gaps of affection remains void. The fear again generalized from a stranger to a population at large including the one’s closest to you. This fear later culminated into a hatred for every male authority figure, and for a woman it was not difficult, there were many cues available from society ( as Pakistani Poetess Kishwar Naheed points out in her poem I am Not That Woman…”you don’t walk a mile without being reminded constantly by jibes and lusting gazes, that you are woman”), media and from personal life which reinforced the already extant fear.

The fear spread to other domains include the fear of the non-existent, the much talked about, hyped and exaggerated about , the fear of the wandering spirits without bodies, the one shown by movies as wearing white flowing garments and strolling in the streets at odd hours to suck out the blood. But, again the blame will have to be borne by media, the movies particularly. The so called horror movies ornamented with scary colorful lights and daunting and intimidating sound effects, the fear is so gripping that the scenes reverberate in my ears and eyes. Here the stranger is not a concrete person but a vague and formless situation wherein we attribute mishaps to an external force which has all the recusant force. Here too I clearly understand the etiology of my fear, it is externalization in sheer sense, transferring all my negatives to a non-existent external entity and then running away from it because I ‘fear’ to encounter my in-human side, my other hidden, fierce, unconstructive, and damaging self.

The other major fear which unlike the above mentioned ones stem from the direct experience. The fear of the colour orange, the fear of the calling ‘Jai Shri Ram’. For an Indian the colour saffron signifies valor and courage but an orange flag at gates of a building, a man with an saffron gamcha, or a hermit clad in a saffron gown, do not give me strength of calm and strength, but leave me shivering to the tip of my spine. As I recollect stories of Christians being attacked on different parts of the country, of churches being vandalized, of missionaries being burnt alive to death and of ‘The Bible’ being torn apart into paper bits; by guardians of culture and nationalism, wrapped in saffron , I am engulfed by a terror or a fright being a Christian myself. In a family where Hindu communal forces are seen as a panic cue, even a neutral color becomes an object of alarm and dread. Not just me but my entire family fears an east Timor styled mass violence against ourselves, and we live under the constant fear of such a day approaching where we friendly Hindu neighbors would be the first one to ignite the first straw of our roof. Here the saffron clad sadhu or sadhvi is not the stranger but, the ideology that makes us different from them is the stranger, the perspective that re-categorizes people sharing same geographical boundaries is the stranger and I fear that stranger ideology.

I fear everything that delimits me, that places me in the category of another , that makes me feel vulnerable , that threatens my security and well being, and everything that possess the ability to injure me. And every such object , person , place, situation or ideology be it the product of socialization or leaning or inheritance, I fear it.

Being the strong free Me,

means being in my power,
in a world full of fear.

4 comments:

  1. Wow ! loved reading it.Its too interesting and too different.Its for the first time i'm reading such an article in any blog.

    Well, here is a piece of fantasy for you



    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rosie_hardy/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks..Good to Hear that from a person who falls in the 'other' category. the only way of acknowledgment can be in practice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. amazing Reena...

    I swear I didn't have the guts to put down certain things while writing but u have done it so well and I can pretty much relate to some of them. I kind of used symbolism to across stuff which in a way I knw is just for my own sake coz everyone has their own interpretation to different symbols.

    However I also made an attempt to jot down some thoughts which been affecting me profoundly...and it somehow came out in the form of poetry rather than prose... and here it is...

    I ran and I ran, I was looking for me...

    I came across a tree,
    I wondered how tall it could be,
    A tall man standing underneath the tree, the sky, the clouds and the sun.
    The sun and its rays, with which the iron blazed,
    and a tiny plant raised for its feed.

    I am blazed...I need my feed,
    I hear a voice that haunts me,
    another one that taunts me,
    Waves go through the untouched, unrippled mind,
    waking me up with a jolt.
    Its just words, just words...
    were they just words which touched me so deeply?
    but there was more which went to the core and its still here,
    there is more, more than just words which caresses me so profoundly,
    but somewhere its just a brush, which leaves me craving for more;
    I hog onto it, then I slog to put it away,
    but it returns in full bloom with a new charm.

    The screen appears and the tree disappears,
    The tree flashes...with the beat of my eye lashes.
    The eyes relax and in the darkness, the silver leaves of the tree come back,
    the closed eyes search for more,
    there is something lurking behind that door...
    Open the door...Open!...the voice says,
    Its open now, its virtual now.
    The tree is gone and the screen is on and I move on...
    Blurred by exploration, doubting my courage and conviction,
    I wonder shall I leave the door open?
    I see a glimpse of the world from the creaks in the door,
    but am I ready for more?

    Drenched in sweat, after a dance with zest,
    I lay down on the floor and stare at the moving fan ,
    the evaporating sweat feels cool...but then a chill runs through me and tells me - I wanna be free...

    The sounds, the voices, the words, the touch, the spark, the glow and the afterglow, soaks me in...
    I am drowned, I am deep there, but then I surface and get a taste of reality...bitter, sweet,bitter...
    The two states coalesce, blesses me with a solidifying grace;
    Now the tree and screen are one.
    The darkness falls in the blues, among the white...appears a thought loose;
    Am I 'one'? Am I free? Am I 'me'?

    I ran and I ran and I am still running....(to be free...to be 'me')

    (P.S - my second attempt at poetry, the first was shared with one or two individuals only...this one was written in a trance like state, 2 lines...I slept for 5 min...another few lines another 5 min sleep...it was weird and this is what I came up with)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing Jessica......u cud put into poetic verses the state i was in when i wrote it....

    ReplyDelete